Thursday, August 04, 2005

iSnob or Indie Yuppie?

Since I'm back from vacation, I figure it's time to start thinking again. Michelle, I think you're right: I've got to amalgamate my blogs. My organizational skills aren't good enough to keep two seperate streams of thought going. Actually, they aren't even good enough to keep my head out o' me ass.

It turns out I may have a new neighbour. The day that Vik moved 3 short buildings away, Jen came and looked at the apartment right next to mine, and has submitted an application. Submerse in water for 48 hours: instant neighbourhood! If Jen moves in, she came up with a brilliant scheme: we could share wireless. Thy shall be done.

When I told Kevin about this plan, his first response was "Don't get the Apple Hub, get a LinkSys Router instead". "Why?" I asked. "Its half the price" was his response.

But there's no way in hell I'm going to get a LinkSys router. It's not white. Nor does it have the apple logo on it. Yes, I am one of "those" people. I have an Apple logo on my Jetta. I carry my iPod with pride, and am thinking of getting an ishuffle as a back-up. I support Mac because I think its cool to do, not because I know anything about PC systems and can directly compare product quality.

There's a new name for people like me. We're called Indie-Yuppies.

I hate to think of myself as someone who is easily pigeonholed. Everyone wants to think that they are unique and can contribute something novel to our culture. Turns out, however, that I am just like millions of other 20-to-30-something year olds trying to be "Alternative".

My brother had a great line once: while talking about body piercings, he said "I hate body piercings. They're the conformist way of being non-conformist".

I'm so conforming to non-conformity.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Feelgood said...

This is me, laughing my ass off, in front of my generic PC! I'm sending you some white spray-on latex for Christmas. That way you can just counterfeit some regular wires into iProduct wires....

8:54 AM  
Blogger Anderson said...

Buddy, I have all sorts of latex spray on. But a little more won't hurt.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Dr. Feelgood said...

You and your latex. Perv.

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home